top of page

Live the Spanish Dream with the Digital Nomad Visa

A Guide to Remote Work in Spain for Filipinos

Work, Wander, Wonder

Do you dream of working from the beach in Spain? Or maybe you've always wanted to visit the Sagrada Familia or wander the bustling streets of Madrid? With the Digital Nomad Visa (DNV), make your dream a reality.

The DNV is a new visa program for digital nomads who want to live and work in Spain for up to 5 years. All you need is a remote job, sufficient income, and health insurance.

What you get with the DNV

Simplified Visa Process

Spain and Philippines have many agreements that make the process even more efficient

Preferential Tax Rate

Holders of the Digital Nomad Visa get access to a preferential flat tax rate of 24%

Fast-track to EU Citizenship

Filipino nationals can apply for the Spanish citizenship after only 2 years!

“Live the life you have imagined.”

Pablo Picasso


You are eligible if...



have an income of at least €30,240 per year*

are a non-EU national

have at least 3 months experience with your current employer

have 3y experience in your current role or a degree related to it



is registered outside of Spain

has been active for at least 1 year

certifies that remote work for your position is authorized

*If you are bringing one family member, you'll need an extra €11,340; for each additional family member it will be an extra €3,780.

“We have to embrace obstacles to reach the next stage of joy.”

Lea Salonga

The 3 steps for the DNV

Step 1

Apply for the Social Security Certificate

We've put this as the first step as it's likely to take time. Social security gives you the right to healthcare, a government pension and other benefits such as sickness and unemployment pay.


There are two ways in which you can get social security coverage in Spain:

  1. Since the Philippines have an agreement with Spain, your employer can request a certificate of social security coverage from your country (recommended). This gives you a leg up vs most of other the nationalities looking to apply.

  2. You or your employer can register and pay social security directly in Spain.

Here's a list of everything you'll need (according to the Manila embassy) – starting with the documents which will take the longest time to get and which require translating and legalisation. 

1) Criminal record certificate

  • Apply for a Criminal Record Certificate from the country or countries where you have been living for the past 2 years (link to NBI online registration). If this document isn't in Spanish, it will need to be translated by an official translator, and if from a country outside of the EU, you'll have to get an apostille. 

2) Evidence of having worked for at least 3 months for your employer/clients

  • If you are employed, ask your employer for a letter which includes your position, the length of time you've been employed for, your salary in euros and confirmation that they authorise you to carry out your job from Spain. If this letter isn't in Spanish, it will need to be translated. 

  • If you are self-employed, ask your clients for a letter stating the length of their client relationship with you, the total amount of invoices they will receive from you (in euros) and confirmation that that they authorise you to carry out your job from Spain. Again, if this letter isn't in Spanish, it will need to be translated. Remember that you need to meet the income requirements listed at the beginning of this post. 

  • In both cases, you'll need to get evidence that your employer/clients have existed for longer for one year.

3) Professional qualifications or work experience

You'll need to provide one of the following:

  • A copy of your degree or other qualification which is related to your job or profession

  • Evidence that you have sufficient experience to carry out your work

If you are not in the EU, you'll have to get an apostille and sworn translation for your qualification so it might be easier to go for the second option. If your profession is regulated in Spain (i.e. if you are a lawyer, architect etc.), you'll unfortunately have to go a step further and get your qualification homologised. 

As for providing evidence of your experience, this is something that could be included in the letter from your employer or clients: a statement that you have sufficient experience to carry out the work. 

4) Private medical insurance 

  • You must arrange private insurance (without co-payment) with a company that is authorized to operate in Spain.

  • Examples of medical insurances without co-payment: Adeslas, Sanitas, Mapfre, Asisa.

  • Insurance must remain active throughout the visa holders authorized time spent in Spain.

  • The coverage must be equal to insurance provided by the Spanish National Health System.

5) Medical certificate

  • Medical certificate indicating the non-existence of disease that could affect public health. This is only needed if applying via the Spanish Embassy in Manila (not when applying from within Spain). 

6) Proof of funds

  • Bank statements, or

  • Wage slips, or

  • Copy of work contracts

7) Copy of valid passport

  • Passport must be valid for at least 12 months. 

  • Copy of all pages will be required.


8) Other

  • Recent photos

  • Visa application form

  • Visa administrative fee (Tasa 790 052)

The guide is on its way to your inbox!

Step 2

Start preparing all of the other documents

Step 3

Submit your application

Where to apply:

  • Directly from Spain with a tourist visa, getting the 3-year card directly. You can then ask for a 2-year extension.

  • From the Philippines at the Spanish embassy in Manila. In this case, the visa is for 1 year and then once in Spain, you would apply for the change to 3 years.

How to apply:

Option 1: do it yourself

Embark on the rewarding journey of securing your DNV independently. The guide above should provide all the necessary information you need to navigate this process on your own. It's an adventure, and with focus and patience, you can conquer it.

Option 2: use a representative

Spanish bureaucracy can be complex and time-consuming. By working with a professional, you avoid the headaches and can focus on your future in Spain. They can guide you through every step, make sure all your paperwork is in order, and push your application across by "talking to right people"; making the difference between a rejected application and a successful one. 

We partner with an immigration law firm in Spain that specializes in DNV applications for Filipino nationals (the firm's partner is Filipino herself). 

We hope this was helpful. Good luck!!

Want to learn more?
Book a free call - no strings attached

Thanks for submitting!

Book a call
bottom of page